Monday, July 29, 2013

Day Two: My first day riding

First off.... It's 11 am currently so I'm a little tired, bare with me if this post is jumbled and short.

This is how my day went... Woke up at 6:30 to get ready for a short staff meeting and breakfast. Myself and Ali then proceeded to feed the four horses who are in paddocks as well as clean up all the manure in the paddocks. Also, we have to clean the pen where the ranch horses go during the day which honestly... Sucks! It's a tiny pen where about 12 horses and 3 mules go. It's a small area. I wouldn't even put 2 horses in there. It's so odd to me that the herd gets along so well when they're in there though. Horse relationships continued to surprise me. I feel as though I'll never completely understand their intricate relationships.

So after we clean and feed, we take the quads out to a huge pasture where the herd stays when they're not being worked. I couldn't even tell you how big the pasture is. I would probably lose my horses in it! Using the quads, we herd the horses into their pen by the arena (they know their routine so it's pretty easy). After the horses are all herded in, we start riding
.
JW (the ranch manager and trainer) had us pull out the few that need some training and we rode them. I was on a little Sorrel named Corona who wa pretty pluggy but did everything I asked of him. He's definitely not the high strung jumping horse I'm used to!

After lunch, Ali and I went on a short ride into the mountains. I rode a red roan gelding named Hawk. He's pretty huge! However, he likes to stop and back up... A nasty habit he's learned from being ridden by so many guests at the ranch. Once he finally understood I wasn't the rider to give in, we got along just fine. These Quarter Horses are all so simple. Makes me wonder where my little Princess Abeline got her brains from....

After we got back from the trail, Ali and I had more time to kill so we hopped on a couple more horses. This is where I fell in love! Everyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge snob about horse colors, paints in particular.... But today I found Sonny. He is a bay paint with a mostly white face, but Lord is he adorable. When I first saw him, he was so grumpy, ears pinned, dirty look on his face, but once I got him out and paid him some special attention, he was super happy. He's really fun to ride as well. He needed a little work on his leads, but I really enjoy having a horse who I can work on something with. I can't give you am exact reason... But I definitely bonded with him already.

Sonny


Running the horses in
Running 


Hawk.... A little camera shy

The view on our ride

This awesome lamp my dad would love....

No comments:

Post a Comment