Friday, August 16, 2013

Time is flying!

Have I already been here three weeks?! This is ridiculous. I can't keep track of my days at all.

The family group we had last week left finally, thank you Lord cause that was a tough one for me. I had 4 days of alone time with the horses, as well as a couple days off which I spent riding and going to town. We have a new group of men here right now. They're friends with the owner of Hawkeye and so far they're a lot of fun. They're all at least 50, and I think they enjoy having a 22 year old Wrangler! Last night we took them on a short ride, and this morning we went on a pretty intense 2 hour ride with pretty much all the horses. I get a little bored on the rides because I sit in the back the entire time, but it's still pretty cool to see Wyoming by horseback.

When I have time to myself in the mornings, I ride the younger horses. Right now I'm obsessed with a little blue roan mare. Blue was really stiff and lazy when I first started riding her, but I'm finally getting some results. She's starting to bend really well, and she's able to hold a frame at the walk and trot. We're still working with the canter, but she really is a neat little mare. Spending the mornings training is always something I look forward to. I don't feel like my talents are being wasted when I do that.

I think my favorite horse is constantly changing. Blue and I have a bond going, but I also enjoy riding Hewstin (or Hewey). He is such an awesome little cow horse. He responds to everything so quickly. Yesterday I took him on a ride where there were crazy switchbacks on a mountain. I think I'm a little terrified of heights at this point so I may stay off the mountain!

Two of the staff have left this week. Allie is gone so I pretty much talk to the horses all day long, and our carpenter was let go due to lack of work. So it's been pretty dull and boring around here lately. There's only about 3 of us who actually hang out at this point.

Oh! I almost forgot. I'm learning how to drive the huge stock trailer now. I've driven my 2 horse bumper pull at home, but this is huge, and a gooseneck! It's so much easier than the bumper pull, and my backing skills aren't too terrible!



Nick, the stallion. 



Jessie, one of Nick's babies. 








No comments:

Post a Comment