These past few days have been insane! We have a huge family here right now, not just a family, but the owners family. Needless to say, I've been a little overwhelmed and stressed the past few days. Most of the time they are wanting to ride, which is totally great, but they don't give me any warning. I basically get bombarded by 10 people wanting to ride, twice a day. So in the mornings we usually do arena work with the girls who actually want to ride and not just go along on the trail. Then in the afternoons we go for a couple hour ride. Today we ended up going on two trail rides instead, which gave me a chance to really see the mountains. We rode through a forest which was pretty amazing. I don't know that I've ever seen a prettier place.
I'm a lot less thrilled about the arena work. The girls generally just want to learn how to lope. Yesterday it actually resulted in one of them falling off. Her horse Spike, started taking off a little and she freaked out resulting in Spike bucking, and her eating it. Normally I wouldn't feel so terrible but the entire family came out (including the owners) and were all watching to see what was happening. No pressure right?
My main frustration is just how the guests treat the horses like toys. They don't quite understand why they can't run them all day long. It's really pretty sad. At the end of the day, I try to just give the horses as much attention and care possible. It might mean nothing to them, but it makes me feel a little better to give them a little TLC at the end of the day.
This week, I got a little crazy... I was bored so naturally I had to get the little pony out and jump her. Shorty is no Nemo, but she sure gave me a work out. I got on her bare back, and it took all my leg muscles not to get bucked off of her. It was a blast though. I can't even explain how much I miss Nemo and jumping.
I'm really looking forward to when these guests leave. They'll all be gone by this weekend so I'll get a day off finally, and a little alone time. I'm super bummed however, because Allie is leaving Sunday as well. I'm definitely going to be bored out of my mind when she's gone. It'll just be me... The horses.... And JW sometimes.
The rest of the week is the same thing... Taking lots of people on rides and biting my tongue the best I can. I'm enjoying my time here, but I'll definitely be glad to come home to my own people and animals.
No comments:
Post a Comment